Sunday 7 September 2014

Visit to my new school

                I must admit, I winced a little when I read that Mom expected me to write about the visit to the Theresianum. "Couldn't you write it?" I asked plaintively, conceding the point only when she pointed out that it was my new school, not hers, and my impressions of it would thus be far more important than hers.
                 Part of the reason that I didn't want to write about it, I suspect, was that I was too petrified  to really notice anything about it. Once I got over my first impression (oh my gosh it's actually a real school with actual real people I'm going to die), I was amazed by how nice everything was. Everything looked amazing, from the chemistry lab to the pottery and woodworking rooms. I did get lost about three seconds after I walked in, but with any luck, I'll probably learn how to find my way around by about Easter. And the library, oh my gosh, the library was utterly amazing; think greenhouse meets the Starship Enterprise. It was the best part of the whole school, in my opinion. Too bad I don't know how to read any of the books.
                The people were another matter. I mean, don't get me wrong, they all seemed very nice, from the five or so words I understood. Unfortunately, they also served to remind me that this was not just a huge and amazingly empty building we were touring, but a place that I'll walk into Monday morning for the first day of school. In a foreign language. With no one I know. It kind of cast a shadow over the whole visit.

                That was a little less than a week ago. Tomorrow morning is the first day of school. I would ask you to wish me luck, but by the time we get internet and Mom publishes this and you wake up from the time difference and check the computer and hey look Gail wrote something and so on and so forth, it'll probably be sometime around October. So don't worry about me. For me, there's something comforting in this fact: by the time you read this, it'll all be over.  

1 comment: